OWJ: Office Worker Jealousy
Every telecommuter has come across this. Someone at the home office is green with envy that you get to work from home, in your pajamas and slippers, while they have to put on a suit and tie and trudge to the office each day. This Jealousy manifests in many ways, can break long time work relationships, friendships, and more.
Whatever the reason is for your having to work from home, there's someone at the office who is quite upset at the idea. There are signs of OWJ all over the place for a telecommuter, and it's in your best interest to have a defense for them when they arise. A few that I have come across are:
- Calling you out in meetings or conference calls as to your home working attire ("Wearing your bunny slippers today?")
- Asking you if you have caught up on all of the daily soap operas/daytime TV.
- Wondering if you have put any miles on your car now that you don't have to drive anywhere.
- Leaving a voicemail while you are in the bathroom that basically accuses you of not being at your desk or doing work when they called.
- Always asking what your weather is like if you are in a different part of the country or have access to an outside window, versus their cubicle view.
I'll cover a bunch of the OWJ issues on this blog, and I hope you will write in with some OWJ issues of your own. We can open a dialogue on how to address OWJ and make a great work environment for everyone!